Pancakes for breakfast is a great camping tradition, but not everyone has the ability to keep the fresh ingredients for traditional pancakes cold. Eggs and milk take up valuable room in the fridge or ice box and not everyone can have milk and eggs anyway.
Not only is this recipe egg and dairy free, but I guarantee this is the EASIEST pancake recipe you will find, and trust me, it’s delicious!
Ingredients for egg/dairy free pancakes
- 1 x Bag of Self-raising flour (Or rice flour if you are gluten-free)
- 1 x bottle of lemonade
- Oil or butter
- Your favourite pancake toppings (I like strawberry jam!)
Pancakes are the perfect breakfast for camping.
Cooking gear that you need
- Campfire hot plate, BBQ or frying pan
- Stove or fire
- Mixing bowl and fork
- Add approx. 2 cups of flour into a mixing bowl
- Mix in the lemonade and stir vigorously with a fork to get all the lumps out. Add enough lemonade to create a smooth, slightly runny pancake mixture
- Heat up your frying pan or BBQ, not too hot though (less than what you need for a steak)
- Add a small amount of oil, butter or margarine to give your pancake a golden crispy finish and to prevent it from sticking
- Pour the mixture in the middle of your hot plate until you have the desired sized pancake
- Watch the pancake until lots of bubbles appear on the surface, once they start to pop it’s time to flip
- Once flipped the pancake only needs about half the time spent on the first side to finish cooking, remove from the hot plate, add your favourite toppings and dig in!
- Remember to add more oil or butter between each pancake!
- It really is that simple!
Now you may have realised that this recipe uses the same ingredients as the easy damper recipe, which means all you need to produce perfect pancake and a delicious damper on your next trip, is a bag of flour, and a bottle of lemonade!
Camping should be simple, but that doesn’t mean you have to go without some of life’s little pleasures and let’s face it, everything tastes better in the bush!
Tell us your camping pancake recipe in the comments section below.
About the writer...
G’day! My name is Dave and there is nothing I enjoy more than getting out in the bush and enjoying the challenge and serenity of travelling around this beautiful country of ours.
After 6 years working as an Outdoor Ed Instructor, I’ve joined the team down at Snowys to help others get geared up and head to the outback!
As an enthusiastic photographer and freelance writer for 4WD Action magazine, I love to get out and capture God’s stunning creation and share it with the world.
After getting married at the end of 2010 and having our first child January 2012, I’m looking forward to seeing more of this beautiful country with my family.